Tenants Contents
& Liability Insurance

As a tenant, insurance isn’t always the first thing on your mind, but sometimes accidents happen.

Have you made arrangements to protect your belongings and your new property from any accidental damage before your tenancy commences?

Braemore would like to ensure your experience in your new home is as stress and cost free as possible. Tenants Contents and Liability Insurance can help protect the value of your personal belongings, support the return of your deposit or reduce potential end of tenancy costs if you decide to purchase a Reposit, and provide you with peace of mind from move in to move out. As part of your pre-tenancy online process you will see there is an opportunity to ‘book a call’ with our partners Goodlord who will talk you through different insurance options to suit you.

This will enable you to receive a free no obligation quotation suitable to your personal needs at a time that suits you. There is no payment upfront and they can arrange cover to protect you from the moment you move in.

If you decide not to take out any protection against unforeseen risks such as fire, explosion, theft, burglary, flood, water and accidental damage you are exposing yourself to significant potential financial loss.

Your landlord and agent will not be responsible if you fail to arrange the correct protection suitable to your requirements.

Did you know…

…that the average UK household contains £35,000 worth of possessions?**

That’s a big investment; so why not protect it with Tenants Contents and Liability Insurance?

19.3 million UK households chose to protect their belongings with contents insurance in 2018** – and you can join them.

At Braemore, we want to help you protect the value of your valuables, so we offer Tenants Contents and Liability Insurance to give you peace of mind. We’re able to present different options for you to choose from our panel of insurers, so you can select the contents cover best suited to your personal needs. And, with liability cover included, there’s less risk of you losing your security deposit due to accidental damage of your landlords’ fixtures and fittings.

What are the benefits?*

No upfront costs & flexible payment dates

Cover amount based on your bespoke quote

Contents Cover

for damage caused by fire, theft, malicious damage, vandalism, subsidence, heave or landslip, storm, flood and escape of water or oil

Visitors' belongings of up to £1,000

Optional contents outside of your home

For up to 90 consecutive days

Standard Accidental Damage

Cover for electronics and more

Alternative Accommodation Expenses

Up to a maximum of £10,000

Tenants Liability Cover

Of up to £10,000 per incident

Optional Full Accidental Damage Cover

Optional Legal Expenses Cover

For up to a limit of £100,000

*Full details in policy certificate, terms and conditions apply.
**Statistics from research by the Association of British Insurers

Your questions answered

Is the cover on a new-for-old basis?
Yes – your policy will replace all items as new, aside from clothing, where a certain amount of wear and tear is expected.

Can I have just contents insurance?
You can choose liability cover as a separate policy – however, you’ll be covered for tenants liability as standard within your contents insurance policy.

Does each tenant take out a policy or does it cover the household?
Your policy will cover you and anyone living with you under your tenancy agreement – but other tenants will have to take out their own policy if they don’t meet this criteria.

Do I have to specify all of my individual items?
No, but you may be asked to give receipts and photos of any items that you claim on, so you should make sure you keep tabs on the high value items.

  • Fire and Explosion
  • Theft
  • Weather
  • Escape of water
  • Domestic subsidence
  • Accidental damage
  • Other domestic claims

Domestic Property Insurance Claims, by type of claim (2018).
Percentages based on value of gross claim incurred.

Source: Association of British Insurers

From your home to your home comforts, we’ve got you covered.

As part of your pre-tenancy online process remember to ‘book a call’ with our partners Goodlord.

Alternatively, when you’ve completed the referencing process, a member of the Goodlord team will contact you directly.

Or, you can visit – goodlord.co/tenants/contents-liability-insurance

Oh Goodlord Limited is an Appointed Representative of Goodlord Protect Limited for general insurance products and credit broking. Goodlord Protect Limited is directly authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority, registration number 836727. You can check this information on the Financial Services Register by visiting www.fca.org.uk/register or by telephoning 0800 111 6768 (Freephone) or 0300 500 8082 from the UK. The FCA is the independent watchdog that regulates financial services.