Spotlight on Gorgie & Dalry
The names Gorgie and Dalry are thought to translate as “big field” and date back to the 12th Century. Dalry Mill was located on these lands and is stated to have existed in various forms from at least 1478 to sometime in the mid-18th century. The mill was actively engaged in paper production in 1590, the first paper mill recorded to exist in Scotland.
The paper mill produced ‘white writing and printing papers’ for the nearby city centre printing and publishing. Today it would be considered to be in the Roseburn area rather than Dalry. With the exception of the mill, the area was primarily agricultural land, lying outside the Old Town of Edinburgh. The former mansion house, Dalry House, built about 1661 still exists. The house, once set in extensive grounds, is now surrounded by tenements and is located on Orwell Place.